Thursday, March 08, 2007

long time, no write

Sorry I didn't update last week. We were short-staffed here on the island and we didn't have a chance to do writing group. But tonight we made up for it. I asked everyone to write about their experiences learning to drive. As usual, they looked at me like I was nuts. And, as usual, some of them wrote really cool things about my suggested topic, and some wrote really cool things about other stuff. Here you go.

Not to Drive, by Anonymous Woman

When I was 15 and 16 and was supposed to be excited about driving, I wasn't. I had my cousin die from hitting a tree and his head went through the mirror. That's when I found out that your brain is pink. About the same time, I had a friend who was decapitated. She ended up going underneath an 18-wheeler. Then I was put into several homes and didn't get the chance to learn to drive. But because of this experience, I decided that I didn't care about driving. Before my mom died, she was determined to teach me to drive, so I got my license at the age of 33. I still haven't driven that much but it's still nice to have the thing. I have always been scared to drive and have never really wanted to do it. The last time I drove, I had to drive home after my husband was arrested. I still don't remember how I got home. I drove down the freeway though.



Learning to Drive, by Dilly Scott

I enjoyed the student English teacher, teaching me how to drive. I was awful, with absolutely no experience except playing with the steering wheel of the '53 Buick Special. Pat drove up Mt. Tabor and I drove down, that is after I went around and around the lamp posts at a church between the 82nd and Division light and the viaduct the ladies fought so hard for, to protect the children crossing the street. I didn't really go for my dad's mint green LTD. I like "Geordi" because it was my first car. Horrible old brown Dodge, I remember fondly. It was shining and nice that Easter when Teddy and I kept going back and forth to be the first person with $500 for it. It took a lot of fixing but it ran. I saw it recently. I took it to the beach. The "Sisho" I loved so much. I wanted it to have a good home, a song. It had 418 horsepower so I guess it was like having a big morgan horse. It made my heart sing. I kissed it goodbye and I want another 409 or 418 A.S.A.P. I'd be like the guy in the other song and kiss my next car goodnight.



It's Time, by Myriah

It's time for me to begin
another chapter of my life.
I didn't choose this for myself, and
I know I'll face some strife.
No matter how I feel about it,
it's time for a new journey.
It's time for me to shine and
display what I've been learning.
I am scared, hesitant,
even vulnerable.
I know the absence of my Oasis
will be quite noticeable.
No matter how I look at it, this
process must take place
I need to see a 24 year old
when I look at myself in the face.
Life is constantly changing,
nothing ever stays the same.
I just need to find a niche,
now that I know how to play the game.
No sense in hanging on
to the youth I never had --
It's not healthy, nor wrong,
neither good nor bad.
So I guess I can settle down now,
for I know just what I'm facing.
Simply moving on,
not forgetting or erasing...
And, it's time.



Frustrated at the Doctor's, by Andy

I was in the doctor's office for a VERY LONG TIME today when this couple brings with them their three small children. So the children began to play in the play area which is among the rest of the patients waiting along with me. SCREAM!!! This went on the whole time I was waiting. I almost fell completely apart. I was almost in tears because my patience was growing thin. I have nothing against children. I was very pissed at the parents because they seemed to be oblivious to the situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home