Thursday, January 11, 2007

arguments

Sometimes I think up really awesome ideas for writing group prompts. Tonight, for example, I suggested that people think back to a really bad argument they've had in the past, and imagine how it could've gone differently. Then I suggested they rewrite their argument and make it come out like they wished it had. I thought it was a good idea. But everybody just frowned at me. Oh well. I thought it was a total failure, but it at least gave one person an idea. Here's what she wrote.

Cloud of Dust, by Dilly Scott

Dilly was angry. The "Schloss Queen" had had the nerve to show up at her door. She'd lost her temper and called her a dishwater blonde and a "camp follower." "And I hope that's all you get." Dilly regretted saying it, but she couldn't shake the camp follower so she made plans for more and took a class in independent trucking and became the swamper to a guy who believed in coffee and pineapple but not condominiums or having gastronomical problems from eating chili and sweet and sour chicken in one day. He taught her all kinds of security measures and cherished her, helped the fruit growers, the dolphins, seals and fishermen.

Dilly sent her a Bible and candy at her aunt's house and apologized. As she was leaving town there was a notice with a job for a potato truck driver -- "Meet me in church." They transported precious cargo of Bibles, Torahs, and book marks. The summer rally left the Schloss Queen in a cloud of dust but the barbeque was tremendous and the music awe inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home