Thursday, November 16, 2006

always thankful for a place to stay

Lots of times, people come to group just feeling thankful they have a place to live after living on the streets or bouncing from couch to couch. I often ask people who are in writing group for the first time to write about their first day here at the Oasis. I do this partly because I'm curious about their experiences here and partly to acknowledge their new-ness and give them a chance to reflect on their new surroundings. Here's another in what will probably be a continuing and sporadic number of New to the Oasis stories.

About the Oasis, by Sez Me

I'm grateful for a bed. And, since my money will finally start next Wednesday, I feel a little more objective about it. The thing is, I love old buildings. That's the first thing I noticed about the Oasis.

There are some wonderful hospitality units -- the Oasis -- in Portland. It's a shame they let some of Burnside fall apart. I don't know much about group homes, but I know they are being crowded out by renovations and condos. Come on "city," get it together!

Hopefully I won't be here long. I've never not been self supporting except a brief period on welfare and joblessness. About funding -- I've been through two recessions -- please, no more Mr. Bush!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home