Thursday, January 11, 2007

inspirational

Sometimes, regardless of my cool writing ideas, folks come to group with lots of great ideas of their own. Tonight, three different people wrote three different, remarkable pieces about their own lives and experiences, and here they are.

Dead or Alive, by Mavis Wykopf

This week I had the unique experience of having to prove that I am alive! The situation was no doubt unusual, but it caused me to stop and ponder the essence of my existence.

What does it mean to be alive? I think mankind has been perplexed by that very question since the dawn of time.

Alive, of course, means breathing, having a heartbeat, blood coursing through veins, brain activity, etc. I feel being "alive" is much more than that. There should be feelings and beauty and friendship and love! When we as beings are deprived of these things, whether by internal or external forces, our sense of being can be altered and consequently our perception of life and death can be skewed. Life being a gift can seem more like a curse. Death being the end can seem more like a new beginning.

I have a somewhat unique perspective on the issue of life and death. I once enjoyed my life and lived it to the fullest. I then began to question whether life was a gift or not. I fell so far down in the pit of despair that I attempted to take my own life. I truly believed death would be a new beginning.

I am still struggling with the concept of life being a gift. I have lost so much. There is still so much pain and guilt and regret. Every day is a test that I feel I am failing. I hope to succeed one day but that day feels very far away.

I am breathing. I have a heartbeat. I have blood coursing through my veins. By definition, I am alive. Some days it's not so clear.



My Name is Meth, by Myriah

My name is Meth. I destroy homes and tear families apart.
I'll take your children and that's just the start.
I'm more costly than diamonds, more precious than gold;
the sorrow I bring is one to behold.
If you need me, remember, I'm easily found.
I live all around you -- in schools and in town.
I live with the rich, I live with the poor,
I live down the street and maybe next door.
I'm made in a lab, but not like you think.
I can be made right under the sink,
in your child's closet or even the woods.
If this scares you to death, well it certainly should.
I have many names, but there's one you know best;
I'm sure you have heard of me, my name is Crystal Meth.
My power is awesome, just try me, you'll see.
Once you do, you'll never break free.
Just try me once and I might let you go.
"Try" me too often and I'll own your soul.
When I possess you, you'll steal and you'll lie.
You'll do what you have to just to get high.
The crimes you commit for my narcotic charms,
will be worth the pleasure you'll feel in your arms.
You'll lie to your mother and steal from your dad.
When you see their tears, you should feel really sad.
But you'll forget your morals and how you were raised.
I'll be your conscience, I'll teach you my ways.
I take kids from parents and parents from kids.
I turn people from God and separate friends.
I'll take everything from you -- your looks and your pride;
I'll be with you always, right by your side.
You'll give up everything, your family, your home,
your friends, your money, then you'll be alone.
I'll take and I'll take 'til you have nothing to give.
When I'm finished with you, you'll be lucky to live.
If you try me, be warned: this is no game.
If given the chance, I'll drive you insane.
I'll ravish your body and control your mind.
I'll own you completely, your soul will be mine.
I'll give you nightmares while lying in bed
and you will hear voices from inside your head.
The sweats, the shakes, the visions you'll see --
I just want you to know, these are all gifts from me.
You knew this would happen. Many times you were told.
But you challenged my power, you chose to be bold.
You could have said "no" and just walked away.
If you could live that day over, now what would you say?
Now that you've met me, what will you do?
Will you try me or not? It's all up to you.
I can bring you more misery than any words can tell.
Come. Take my hand. Let me lead you to Hell.



Letting My Guard Down, by Ramona

Talked to J today. It was my second time to talk to him. Because I want so much to get all the help I can, to see some kind of life in the future, and start having feelings of caring about myself. I want to be able to feel again. I want to be able to be happy and active and caring and not be so defensive whenever anyone talks to me or asks me questions. I feel people don't care, they just want to get enough information about me so they can use it to hurt me or manipulate me. I am hurting, scared, and confused and I have to learn to let my guard down with certain people, to be able to trust those who are here to really help me, and be there to help me understand some of my feelings. I want to see a light at the end of the darkness. I don't know, I just want to be able to feel joy, happiness, security. And it's hard to do when I don't let my guard down because I feel everyone is out there to get me, hurt me... I don't know... I'm still fighting.

1 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Archana said...

It is amazing! The way they have started believing in themselves and has confidently put down what they think on paper. Awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home