Thursday, October 25, 2007

halloween transformations

Halloween is just around the corner. Are you excited? I'm excited. I'm THRILLED!!! I love Halloween. One of my favorite things about Halloween is the opportunity to dress up and transform into something new and exciting. I like to use Halloween as an chance to let some of my hidden, inner-self shine through in cool, creative ways.

That was the basic theme underlying tonight's writing suggestion. First I asked everyone to think back and remember their very favorite costumes. I asked them to think about why they chose it, what it felt like to wear, what it looked like. Then I asked them to imagine what would have happened if they'd gone home at the end of the night and found that they couldn't take the costume off! What would have happened if they had actually transformed into the object of their costume? Here's what they wrote.



Life Is a Little Different Now, by Anonymous Man

Life is a little different now that I'm a gorilla. First thing was I had to redecorate my apartment: heavy ropes hold up a tire swing now -- the couch is gone. I tossed my bed out, too. I just sleep on the floor. Damn mattress had bedbugs anyway, and the Orkin man is afraid to come into my space now. I heard him say to my building manager, "Hey man, my contract is just for insects. I don't do apes."

I kept my tv, but since my IQ is much lower now, I had to switch to Fox News.

I'm going to register to vote.

I like Mr. Bush.

Of course, I'm a vegetarian. All those cans of Chile Con Carne I got from the food bank I use as dumbells to keep up my strength. Today I learned how to open cartons of soymilk. I can peel bananas like you wouldn't believe.

I can still write but I need a fatter pen for my fingers. Did I tell you I like Mr. Bush?



Halloween Costume, by Anonymous Woman

I painted my face like a "day of the dead" mask I'd seen on a wall. It was black with sharp, white teeth from ear to ear. After the party, I tried to wash it off, but it didn't seem to be coming off. Weary, I went to bed, figured I'd work on it when I woke up the next morning.

The next morning I woke up, psyched myself up for what I'd have to face in the mirror, and proceeded to the bathroom. I was unprepared for what stared back at me. I didn't have black make-up on my skin, my skin was black. Those weren't painted teeth on my face, that was my huge, frightening mouth with shark-like teeth. I had been transformed.

I gazed down at my large, closed hands. I had actually become a monster. I could never fit into society again, I'd have to eke out some kind of living in the darkness, shadows. My life as a human was over. I'd have to rethink everything I knew about living in this world while hardly being a part of it. I had some camping gear, I'd move out of my apartment and set up a camp deep in the forest, no doubt become a legend like sasquatch. Slowly I raised my eyes back to the mirror, hoping it was just a bad dream. It wasn't.



Fairy Godmother, By Anonymous Woman #2

One of the Halloween's I cam remember, I dressed up like a fairy godmother. My mom made the costume and used a piece of wire for the wand and it had sparkling silver and pink strings. I had a long dress with a big slip under it. All I can remember is a lot of sparkles and colors.

As a Fairy Godmother I would visit all the children of the world who needed good parents and safe-secure homes. I would turn all the homeless, abusive and plain bad parents into the kind of parents every child needs. Loving, secure, happy of course, and put them all in homes with big yards and pets that they can love and take care of.

I would make sure they had plenty of food in their homes. Then I would look for all the children who are real sick and in hospitals and homes and make them all well and healthy and happy. I'd make a world of all happy, healthy, smiling, laughing children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home