Tuesday, August 15, 2006

my first day at the oasis

On the first day of writing group, I asked if people would write about their first day at the oasis. This is a big place with a lot of people and I imagined it could be pretty intimidating. I was really curious to know how everybody's first days had felt. Here are their stories.

From Maryah:

My first day at the Oasis... that's a little crazy. Fresh out of the hospital, new to the downtown area, and very different from my fellows; or so I thought. People were walking around talking to themselves, laughing at the air and even arguing with their hands! I was in trouble. I knew I didn't belong here. Then, to top it off, someone got arrested and we all had to leave the DIC. "What's the DIC" I remember thinking. (Note from the Captain: the DIC is the drop in center where everybody hangs out.) So much drama and chaos. I just wanted to go to bed. Escape. Go away.

Soon it was dinner time. What a riot! People came out of everywhere. There was a long line and I was told to get in or get out. Then someone whom I cannot seem to remember now gave me cuts in line so I wouldn't have to go to the end. I eventually settled down and in, made some friends and got used to this place. I'm ok now and I've realized I'm not so different from my fellows. We all have problems and that's why we are here.

From Anonymous Woman:

My first day at the Oasis was scary. I was expected here. Being at a treatment center for five and a half months, I was excited and afraid. I was brought here by a friend and sponsor. The staff here at the Oasis appeared to be happy I was now a part of their people who were staying here and I started to relax. I saw all of the Oasis and was showed the dorm where I would be staying. After the tour, I was alone to unpack my stuff. This place is now my home.

From Anonymous Woman #2:

My first day at the Oasis: I came through the door and met with my case manager. This place had some people acting tough, people asking me for cigarettes. I left and went to the shelter I'd been at to get my stuff. Luckily, some guy had a cart and brought it over here. They showed me around and gave me some bedding and I was too nervous to do anything so I sat on my bed. There was this woman sitting at the end of the bed, she asked me for a cig so I had one with her so I wouldn't be so nervous. Then I bought a pop and I ended up buying her one too. I felt sorry for her so I helped her some more. She dropped things on the floor and she wanted me to help her pick them up. She got coffee and she wanted me to get the cream and sugar for her. It only took me half a second to figure out she takes kindness as weakness and she didn't want a friend, she wanted a slave. Then some big girl came up and tried to show her power. I just said, "Bitch, don't you know I can beat your ass, don't matter what." If I show my weakness, people will eat me alive. This was a new place and I could sleep for a couple of days. I had a bunch of guys here trying to pick me up. To this day, they all say I had my chance. Yeah, I did. I had my chance to turn them down! They just don't seem to realize I have the best boyfriend and nobody can change my mind.

Anonymous Woman #3:

I was referred by my old case manager. I came in and was able to do my laundry, shower and be off the streets. I remember a staff person told me I could sleep on the couch that night and I was so happy to have a chance to rest and not sleep on the street. I spent most of that weekend indoors and I asked again about the couch and they said yes.

Eventually, after about a week or two, I moved into the dorm. It was nice and cool in there. This was about two months ago. Since then, I've been doing very well psychologically and all around better as I sleep, eat good, and shower regularly and have acquired clothes and can do laundry. My thinking is much better. I think the elements outside were hard.

I notice a major difference in myself. I feel the stability and routine of life the Oasis has given me will be with me always. It has definitely made me a better person. I've become very open to groups since I've been at the Oasis -- they were very beneficial to me. I have so much to look forward to and I'm grateful for my mindset and the Oasis. I think the staff does and excellent job. They are very tolerant, patient and professional.

Anonymous Man:

My first day at the Oasis, I was suicidal. I was grateful I had a place to stay, but also I was on the streets and very depressed. Things were rough at the beginning but eventually I met people and got involved. It was a long process, but God was with me. I made some friends who were very nice to me, including the staff. I got help. I'm grateful for the blessing and the people who were there for me. I now I have an apartment and a job interview. That will help me get a job. Compassion is a beautiful thing. I have expressed it and have received it. To be kind to someone comes back on you. Anyone can be mean, but to be kind is the true essence of life. I am not where I was eleven months ago. I'm a better person.

3 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nicely done...

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog especially the part about how compassion comes back to you! I feel the same way. I'm so glad you have been helped and are in a safe place.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...that last comment was meant for "anonymous man." I just realized that there were several people writing on "my first day at the oasis!" Silly me!

I really really enjoyed all of your blogs!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home